2021-10-24, 14:00–15:30, Grand Ballroom
CARTA is a major visualization tool used by astronomers worldwide, architected for use with big image data sets. There have been 7 major public releases plus beta and patch releases to date and v2.0 was released on 4 June 2021. Check https://cartavis.org/ for more details about CARTA.
In the CARTA tutorial, we plan to have five topics that help users to master CARTA for their own science. For a given topic, the first 5-10 minutes are reserved for the tutors to introduce the ideas with slides and live demonstrations, and the rest of the time is for hands-on practice. The final 10 minutes are dedicated to Q&A.
At the end of this CARTA tutorial learners will have grasped:
- How to set up the CARTA environment
- How to manipulate major features of CARTA in order to fulfil their science objectives for
their data sets
- How to use the help facility and report bugs.
1. A laptop/desktop computer with internet connection
2. (Optional) CARTA pre-installed on your system. We will also provide a test server that
you can simply log on and use the demo images for the tutorials
3. A set of images that you are familiar with based on your research expertise if you decide
to install CARTA on your computer. A list of recommended kinds of image/catalog files
you should prepare for will be provided.
4. (Optional but recommended) Download our demo dataset if you decide to install CARTA
on your computer
Big data: How to deal with the 5 Vs (volume, velocity, variety, veracity, value)